Umpire Insurance Plan
When Are They Covered?
When they umpire games, leagues, and tournaments involving USA Softball registered teams and the event has been authorized by an USA Softball Commissioner and/or his/her designee or authorized by USA Softball
- Umpire registration includes coverage for officiating Scholastic (Middle School, High School, NFHS) and Collegiate (NCAA, NAIA, NJCAA) Softball events. It will not follow umpires when working other softball organizations.
Umpire Accident and Medical Expense Insurance
Who is Insured?
All umpires registered with the USA Softball are automatically covered under this plan from January 1 to December 31. The cost of this coverage is fully paid by the USA Softball National Office.
What is Coverage?
Accidental injury arising out of the amateur softball activities of the umpire are covered. These include USA Softball sanctioned games, practices, clinics and tournaments. The medical expense benefit is $100,000, with a $500 deductible, accidental death is $2,000 and accidental dismemberment is $4,000. There is a $25,000 sub limit while traveling directly to and from an event.
What are the Restrictions?
The medical expense coverage is provided on an excess basis. This means that this insurance comes into play only after other group or individual medical insurance has paid out its benefits. If there is no other medical insurance, then the USA Softball umpire insurance will pay its benefits on a primary basis. The benefits, including surgical procedures, are paid on a usual and customary basic, some medical expenses may not be paid in full. The policy only covers medical bills which are incurred within 365 days of the date of injury. Medical services must begin within sixty days of the accident. There is a 90/10 coinsurance.
What are the Exclusions? No benefits will be paid for:
- Treatment by a physician retained by the team or league
- Eyeglasses or contact lenses, hearing aids, and examination for the prescription or fitting thereof
- Injuries covered by worker's compensation or under automobile no-fault laws
- First aid treatment at the scene of the accident
- Bacterial infection
- Air travel, except on a regular scheduled commercial flight
- Injuries received as a consequence of injured party's intoxication (alcohol or drug related)
Umpire Liability Insurance Policy
All umpires who are registered with USA Softball are automatically protected under USA's Softball comprehensive general liability policy. Coverage extends to lawsuits involving bodily injury, personal injury or property damage arising out of the performance of duties as an USA Softball umpire. The limits under the policy are $2,000,000 per occurrence with a $5,000,000 aggregate.
Underwritten by Markel Insurance Company.
|Liability per occurrence||$2 million|
|Personal Injury / Advertising Injury||$2 million|
|Products / Completed Operations||$2 million|
|Sexual Abuse Liability per occurrence||$2 million|
|Sexual Abuse Liability Aggregate||$2 million|
|Damage to Premises Rented||$1 million|
|Med Pay to Others (non-participants)||$10,000|
In addition to the usual exclusions found in the standard commercial general liability policy, there is no coverage for automobile liability; nor for the furnishing, serving or selling of any alcoholic beverage; nor for acts of an intoxicated person.
Umpire Accident Policy
All umpires registered with USA Softball are automatically protected under this plan. The USA Softball Accident plan provides coverage for accident/medical expenses arising out of the performance of duties as an USA Softball Umpire. This is a supplemental policy to help minimize your out of pocket expenses. The coverage is subject to limits, conditions and exclusions of the policy and is not designed to cover “everything.”
Please note that you must follow your primary insurance carrier’s eligibility criteria (e.g., to be treated in-network, etc) in order for this policy to consider your expenses for payment.
Underwritten by Markel Insurance Company.
|Accident Medical||$100,000 per claim|
|Accidental Dismemberment||$4,000 principal sum|
|Chiropractic & Physical Therapy||$2,500 ($100 per visit)|
|Durable Medical Equipment||$1,000|
|Travel to/from USA Softball Events||$25,000|
|Deductible per claim||$500|
|90/10 % Coinsurance|
- Medical services must begin within sixty days of the accident
- Claim forms must be submitted within one year from the date of injury
- The policy is subject to a 52-week benefit period from the date of injury
- Payment is made according to usual and customary guidelines
- Service or treatment rendered by a doctor or any other person employed or retained by the Policyholder
- Eyeglasses or contact lenses, hearing aids and the examination for the prescription or fitting thereof
- Expenses for treatment on or to the teeth, except for treatment resulting from injury to natural teeth;
- Hernia of any kind
- Injury covered by workers compensation or similar legislation or automobile no-fault law;
- First aid rendered at the scene of the accident
- Any sickness or bodily illness
- Air travel, except on a commerical aircraft operating on a regularly scheduled passenger route
- Injuries received as a consequence of the injured party's intoxication (alcohol or drug related); as defined by the laws of the jurisdiction where the loss occurred.
Provided is a summary of available insurance coverages. It is not an insurance policy. Please see the actual insurance policy issued, together with its declarations page and any endorsements for a complete recitation of the terms, conditions and exclusions of the policy of insurance. The policies are subject to the laws of the jurisdiction in which they are issued.